Feognost Lebedev (secular name – Georgii (Yegor) Ivanovych Lebedev)

Feognost Lebedev (secular name – Georgii (Yegor) Ivanovych Lebedev)

Feognost Lebedev (secular name – Georgii (Yegor) Ivanovych Lebedev) was born in 1829 in the Tver province in the family of a priest. After studying at the Tver Theological Seminary, he entered the St. Petersburg Theological Academy, graduating with a master’s degree in theology.

In 1853 he was ordained a monk under the name Feognost and in the same year was ordained a hieromonk, and in 1858 – an archimandrite. He was the rector of the Orel Theological Seminary and the rector of the Peter and Paul Monastery, the rector of the Kamyanets-Podilsky Theological Seminary and the rector of the Holy Trinity Monastery.

On January 22, 1867, he was ordained bishop of the Baltic, vicar of the Podolsk Diocese. Later he was appointed to the Astrakhan cathedra, and in 1874 he was elected bishop of Podolsk and Bratslav. After his ordination as archbishop in 1883 he served in the Novgorod land. He was an honorary member of the Moscow, St. Petersburg and Kazan Theological Academies, a permanent member of the Holy Synod (since 1895).

On August 13, 1900 he was ordained metropolitan and appointed to the cathedra of the metropolitans of Kyiv and Halych, as well as the sacred archimandrite of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.

Bishop led a strict ascetic life. He was tireless in preaching the Word of God and left a memory of a man who was kind, approachable, and attentive to all. His Grace Feognost made considerable efforts to restore ancient temples, increase and decorate churches and cathedrals.

Restoration works in the Assumption Cathedral of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra were carried out during his ministry, as well as the Lavra Metropolitan Chambers were repaired. Bishop took care of theological educational institutions, was the head and honorary member of the Kyiv Theological Academy, to which he provided significant financial assistance.

Reverend Feognost was awarded with the 2nd class Order of St. Prince Volodymyr (1877), a diamond cross to be worn on a klobuk (1892), and a cross for wearing on a mitre (1900).

He died on January 22, 1903 in St. Petersburg, but was buried in the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in the Near Caves of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.