(044) 279-22-56 excursions

(044) 278-26-20

  • Українська
  • English

Metropolitan’s Residence

Metropolitan’s Residence

RESTORATION   EXPOSITION   CONTACTS

Metropolitan’s Residence

The Metropolitan House is located in the western part of the yard of the St. Sophia architectural complex, opposite the main entrance to the cathedral. Several Kyivan metropolitan made efforts to the creation of this pearl of Ukrainian Baroque. It was built in 1722–1730 years, in times of the metropolitan Barlaam Vanatovych, it was originally an one-story house. His successor, the metropolitan Raphael Zaborowsky (1731–1747) built a first floor. It was built with the participation of talented architect Y.H. Shedel. Completion of construction dates from the residence time at the Kyiv Metropolitan cathedra of Timothy Scherbatsky (1747–1757), which attracted to the works an architect S. Antonov. There were built a second floor, a mansard, and was arranged a new roof with a hall during this time. East and west facades of the house were decorated with beautiful baroque gables.

The house has been reconstructed several times, completed and repaired later. In 1880-ies there were built by the famous Kyiv architect V. Nikolayev an extension at the west side, arranged balcony with stairs, which gave a possible to go down from the first floor to the Metropolitan Garden. New wide granite steps came in the interior. The Metropolitan House was nationalized and there were placed various organizations after October coup in St. Petersburg.

Large-scale repair and restoration works had been made in the Metropolitan House for 2005–2008 (the authors of the restoration project are architects S. Yurchenko and V. Otchenashko; Maecenas is the Foundation “Development of Ukraine”). There had been discovered and restored authentic painting of 18th century preserved in the interior of the monument during the work. Specialists studied the closest analogues of furniture, thus a museum exhibit was formed on the ground floor of the House. It reproduces the interior and utensils of the metropolitan apartments of 18–19th centuries. Exhibition halls and a large, equipped with modern technical facilities conference room on the first floor of the house. Conferences, seminars and other cultural activities of culture are mass character have been held there.