Repairs and restoration

Repairs and restoration

During its existence, St. Andrew’s Church has not undergone significant changes and alterations, although it has been renovated for many years.

Repair work in the first half of the 19th century were designed by architects A. Melenskyi and P. Sparro.

Great works were carried out before the centenary of the church, which was celebrated in 1867. The church building was also repaired at the end of the 19th century, and during the 20th century. Significant repair and restoration works have been carried out in the monument several times.

In 1978-1979 the top of the church was restored in its original forms on the basis of authentic drawings by F.-B. Rastrelli, photocopies of which came from the Albertina Museum in Vienna (the author of the restoration project is the architect V. Korneieva). As a result, St. Andrew’s Church acquired an appearance that corresponds to the author’s plan, and took its rightful place in the history of national and world architecture.

In the 90s of the twentieth century in the St. Andrew’s Church planned repair and restoration works of the exterior and interior were carried out.

For decades, the restoration of paintings and wood carvings of St. Andrew’s Church has been carried out by highly qualified specialists from the Ukrrestavratsiya Corporation and the National Conservation and Restoration Center of Ukraine.

In 2009, anti-accident works began to strengthen St. Andrew’s Hill, the structures of the church building and its foundations.

The church in scaffolding. Restoration 1978-1979

       

Restoration of the central cupola crown. 1978